General conditions for exemptions
- Vehicles that cannot be retrofitted can get an exemption. Proof from a garage or similar must be carried with the vehicle.
- Retrofitting is not economically reasonable. When the retrofit costs exceed the vehicle value or retrofitting would bring a business into financial difficulties. Exemption needs to be applied for to LEZ authorities and carried with the vehicle.
Journeys allowed to be exempted
Together with one of the general exemptions above, only the following journeys are allowed:
- Supplying essential goods, particularly food, pharmacies, nursing homes, hospitals & similar public facilities, as well as weekly and special markets.
- Supplying essential services, particularly repair of technical equipment, buildings, water, gas and electrical damage and for the social and nursing support services
- Journeys of special vehicles or trips for the following purposes: special vehicles such as cranes, heavy duty truck-tractors, fairground vehicles, oldtime vehicles, cars with a regulated catalytic converter that was not already exempt through the labelling regulators (code numbers 03, 04, 09 and 11), and test and transfer trips with temporary number plates.
Individual exemptions together with the above general conditions:
Individual exemptions can be exempted by the local LEZ authorities for the essential and urgent individual interests, in particular for:
- Essential regular doctors appointments (eg dialysis patients etc)
- Journeys for shift workers where public transport is not available
- Journeys for the maintenance of production processes, such as supplying construction sites, delivering goods to manufacturing plants and transporting goods from production where there is no alternative available.
Heilbronn additional exemptions
Other exceptions also may apply for individuals and businesses if special reasons exist, such as the need to drive in the night when there is no public transport connection or to regular health care visits (eg dialysis) - always assuming that the no vehicle retrofit option is available.
These exemptions are listed for your guide only. They are not officially translated, and are current as of winter 2009/10. The original on the city/regional/national website is the only accurate source.