The Access Regulation (ZTL) of the Historical Center, is a wide area within the historic center of Bologna. The Access Regulation includes the ZTL T AREA and Universita which have more restrictive times.
There is also an LEZ in place in Bologna.
Dates and details
07:00 - 20:00, every day, the movement of motor vehicles is restricted.
Area T: 00:00 – 24:00
Universita: 00:00 – 24:00
Public transport and P+R
Options to travel into the city without a car
Public transport Bologna
the dark green line is the boundary of the ZTL
Has signs similar to this, a banned vehicle sign with the requirements below:
Need to Register?
If you have to enter the area for delivery you need a sticker. Please see here for further information.
In case you need to enter the ZTL and you are not eligible to a permit, you can buy a ticket valid for one day for 6€ or for 4 days for 15€. But Area T and University can NOT be entered with the ticket!
Please see here for further information.
Foreign vehicles affected?
Yes, are affected.
-clients of hotels garages and repair shops
-car sharing vehicles
-holders of permits
You have to give notice to the Sportello Mobilità before entering the zone:
- vehicles in the service of disabled people bearing the specific pass issued by the City of residence
- the zero-emission vehicles (electric) and hybrid electric motor
- vehicles in taxi service
- police, emergency vehicles, public safety and roadside assistance
- public services (telephone, water,…)
- vehicles of the State, City of Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Bologna Province, the municipalities of the Province of Bologna, Health Authority City of Bologna, S. Orsola-Malpighi, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, ARPA, and University of ARSTUD Bologna, ACER, Italian Post Office, funeral services
Loading and unloading times (20 minutes maximum), sticker F:
Euro 0: 06:00 – 07:30 and 14:30 – 16:30 weekdays
Euro 1-6: 06:00 – 10:00 and 14:00 –17:00 weekdays
CNG (compressed natural gas) and LPG (liquid petrolium gas): 06:00 – 12:30 and 14:00 – 17:00 weekdays
National exemptions for all ZTL:
Categories stated by law: public transport, vehicles for disabled people with registered disabled persons badge.
Local name for the scheme
Zona a Traffico Limitato (ZTL) or Limitazioni della circolazione, the general name for all access regulation schemes, also used for Low Emission Zones.
Bologna tourist website
Information for vehicles that need to access hotels.
Information for tourist buses/ coaches
Bologna city website