Madrid has a kind of a low emission zone in place. It is called 'zona de bajas emisiones'(ZBE). The more central you want to park and the more polluting your vehicle is the more you pay for parking.
There is also a plan to have only zero emission zone by 2025. It may be a traffic-free area. More details will be here when they are available.
The parking costs depend on two variables, the vehicle emissions and where you park.
Eg Vehicle type A (-20%) in parking area type D (+10%) = pay a 10% reduction (-10%) of the standard fee.
There is a base rate, to which reductions and surcharges are applied depending on the technology of the vehicle.
The parking meter will determine the reductions or surcharges that corresponds to apply through its connection to the database of the General Direction of Traffic and to an integral platform of the parking meters.
The base rate will also be paid when the vehicle is not registered in the system of the General Direction of Traffic and it is not possible to determine the reductions or surcharges to be applied by the technology of the vehicle.
You have to type in your number plate information. That means that only registered cars can get reductions or surcharges.
The rest pays the basic price.
low emission zone
blue area: Zona Azul ZBE
green area: Zona Verde ZBE
not available yet
Registered vehicle owners get the appropriate sticker send by mail without ordering it.
In order to register a vehicle for an exemption contact the SER.
Spain now has four emission stickers.The cities can use them also for incentives or bans of certain vehicles.
Putting the sticker on your windshild is voluntary - as the scheme is camera enforced.
- Vehicles with two- and three-wheels
- Vehicles parked in areas reserved for their category of activity
- Taxis in service provided that driver is present
- Taxis adapted for the transport of handicapped people
- Public service vehicles provided that driver is present
- Diplomatic body
- Vehicles for the transport of handicapped people
- Electric vehicles, fuel cell vehicles, zero emission vehicles, PLEV – need to be registered by the SER
- Motorcycles, mopeds
- Community service vehicles
- Public health service vehicles
Zona de bajas emisiones