Conversion to an alternative fuel

In some LEZs, converting the vehicle to an alternative fuel such as:
  • Natural gas (Compressed Natural Gas or Liquid Natural Gas),
  • Liquid petroleum gas,
  • Ethanol
  • Electric engine
will allow entry into the LEZ.
This is particularly the case if the conversion gives the vehicle a higher Euro standard, similar to replacing the engine with a newer diesel or petrol engine. Gas conversions often also have to be certified and you  need to provide some proof to the LEZ authorities.
Different countries have different approaches to proof of certified conversions. In London you need to register with the Vehicle Standards Authority (VOSA), see the TfL website. In other countries you may be able to have the change registered on your vehicle papers, or provide other proof for the LEZ authorities.

In many countries alternative fuels can be cheaper (due to reduced fuel tax), although there can be significant costs to the conversion itself. Ethanol conversions are more widely used in Sweden.  Electric and hydrogen vehicles are also generally allowed in LEZs as well as other access regulations, although they are more likely to be new vehicles than converted vehicles.
Go to top

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.