A.1 These can be applied for if:
1. The vehicle was owned before 1.12.12
2. The vehicle is not able to be retrofitted.
3. There is no other vehicle that can be used that complies with the LEZ.
4. A replacement by a less polluting alternative vehicle is not economically feasible. ‘Not economically viable’ will be tested by the limits set in the Enforcement law of the civil process order (ZPO), the accepted income limits that are required to live. The income limits are set as:
With no dependants: 1180,00 € per month
With one dependent person 1620,00 € per month
With 2 dependent people 1890,00 € per month
With 3 dependent people 2190,00 € per month
With 4 dependent people 2570,00 € per month
With 5 dependent people 3154,15 € per month
Businesses need proof from an accountant (Steuerberater) that retrofitting would danger the viability of the business.
Until 1.1.2014, residents, businesses within the LEZ or foreign businesses need to comply with only one of the requirements 1-4 above. After 1.1.2014 all requirements 1-4 must be complied with.
A2 The trips for which exemptions can be applied for are:
A.2.1 Private/business purpose trips:
1. Repair of technical equipment, repair of buildings with water, gas or electrical damage
2. Trips for social work or care purposes
3. Trips to required regular doctors visits and medical emergencies
4. Delivery and pickup of coaches
5. Trips of commuters where the work begins at a time when there is no public transport.
A.2.2 Official trips
1. Delivery of necessary goods for food shops, pharmacies, old peoples home, hospitals and similar institutions; weekly and special markets
2. Delivery and waste disposal for building sites, goods delivery for factories, and delivery of goods from productions, including works vehicles, when alternatives are not available
A.2.3 Particular requirements for social or vehicle related reasons
1. Special vehicles with particular business ideas (eg historic buses for weddings or city tours)
2. Special vehicles with high purchase and change cost that only travel small distances within the LEZ (eg particularly heavy goods vehicles, fairground / showmans vehicles, vehicles in stationary usage for their particular purpose, ie vehicles that are identified by their particular technical usage (eg measurement vehicles, special media vehicles and workshop vehicles from craftsmen or workmen).
3. Coaches, if the retrofitting invalidates the engines guarantee
4. Particular hardship cases, that would endanger the viability of the business. These hardships need to be confirmed by an accountant (Steuerberater).
B Exemptions issued by other places
B1. For exemptions from elsewhere under A2, the proof of the exemption is sufficient to prove part A1 in Wiesbaden.
B2. Mutual recognition. The officials in Hessen recognise exemptions under A.2.3 from elsewhere in Hessen. The exemption needs to be clearly displayed on the vehicle.
C. Vehicles that can freely travel, without applying for an exemption
Vehicles in addition to the national exemptions that do not require an exemption, but can freely travel are:
C.1. Vehicles on test, trial or transfer trops with short term number plates (red number plates according to section 16 of the FZV or export-numbers according to section 19 of the FZV.
C.2. Vehicles with disabled vehicle parking stickers, after section 46 Abs. 1 Nr 11 of the StVO, that is clearly displayed on the vehicles windscreen.
C.3. Trial and test vehicles after section 70 Abs. 1a or section 19 Abs. 6 of the StVZO.
Applying for exemptions:
These exemptions are listed for your guide only. They are not officially translated, and are current as of spring 2012. The original on the city/regional/national website is the only accurate source.