There are several schemes in Milan:
- the Milan - AR, an access regulation
- and the Milan province, the Low Emission Zones of the four provinces of Milan, Como, Varese and Lecco merge to give a 'paw print' shaped LEZ (see Milan Province).
- the Milan C is a combined Low Emission Zone and urban road charging scheme
- There are possible short term restrictions, particularly in the winter See the Milan LEZ page
- the Milan C now substitutes the Milan ecopass that is no longer in operation.
Dates and details
Minimum standard: diesel Euro 3, petrol Euro 1
Note that there are possible short term measures like the total ban for vehicles to operate See the Milan LEZ page<
ZTL Navigli and Public Transport: all vehicles.
Options to travel into the city without a car.
ATM Azienda Transporti Milano
Key: ZTL covers all the shaded areas
Foreign vehicles affected?
Yes, are affected.
Hours of operation
ZTL Navigli every day 20:00 - 07:00
Public Transport every day 00:00 - 24:00.
National exemptions for all ZTL:
Categories stated by law: public transport, vehicles for disabled people with registered disabled persons badge. Specific exemptions: vehicles belonging to: residents, owners of private parking space, public utilities, hotel guests, shops or companies inside the ZTL, car sharing, goods delivery vehicles, those giving social or medical care to people in their homes, visiting doctors, night-time security, craftsmen, funeral companies, voluntary organisations, people using rented parking space
Local name for the scheme
Milan air quality impacts