Expand All

This ARS (Access Regulation Scheme) denies certain vehicles access to the city centre at certain times.


Access regulation

Reading map
orange lines: no motor vehicles 07:00 to 11:00, 16:00 to 19:00, exept for buses, wheelchair accessible taxis and permit holders
green lines: pedetrian zone 10:00 to 18:00
blue lines: cycle, bus and wheelchair accessible taxis only

Anyone operating within restricted (pedestrian) zones central Reading may apply for a Special Vehicle Annual Permit valid for twelve months. It can be paid for by cheque, credit/debit card or by postal order
The permit provides access to the zones within restricted hours as listed under ‘Hours of operation’ for accessing private off street parking, emergency repairs, demolition work and the delivery of perishable goods.

Permits are issued at:
Resident Parking Permits
Reading Borough Council
Civic Centre
Reading, RG1 7AE

Phone: +44 (0) 118 937 3767

Or apply online

Residents and businesses applying for Special Vehicle Access Permits must have access to off-street parking and are required to provide proof of status for a permit application to be considered.

How to provide proof?
either a copy of the National Non-domestic Rates Demand, or a letter on the official business letterhead explaining the need for access during restricted hours, and proof of access to off-street parking. This may be a copy or either property deeds, tenancy agreement, lease or licence to the land OR an agreement/contract with or specific letter of permission from the landlord giving the business the access to parking.

Copy of a document with your address on it (e.g. bank statement, council tax bill,…) not older than four months.
Proof is needed of vehicle ownership or entitlement to use the vehicle that will be identified on the permit. That means a copy of DVLA Registration document (V5C) or an insurance certificate / insurance schedule, which must show the address where the permit is applied for. If you are not the owner of the vehicle ( vehicle, lease car, rental car etc) a copy letter stating that you have a right to use the vehicle including documents that show you are insured to use the vehicle.
Residents must ALSO provide proof that their property has dedicated, off-street parking. In this case a copy of the deeds, tenancy agreement or other document detailing the appropriate landlord’s permission to park must be provided.

Vehicles from outside the UK may apply for a permit for a maximum of six months subject to a charge of £330. After six months the vehicle must be registered with the UK DVLA.

Yes, are affected.

Street Area

Restricted Times

Broad Street

10am - 6pm

Cross Street

10am - 6pm

Queen Victoria Street

10am - 6pm

Minster Street

7am - 11am

4pm - 7pm

Friar Street (Eastbound)

7am - 11am

4pm - 7pm

St. Mary's Butts

7am - 11am

4pm - 7pm

West Street

7am - 11am

4pm - 7pm

Manual, camera.

The fine is either £70 or £50 (~89€ or ~64€).

Buses and wheelchair accessible taxis are exempted.

Residents and businesses can apply for Special Vehicle Annual permit.
See under 'Who can apply for a Permit?'

Reading access restriction

Go to top

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.