Nine Swiss resorts are car free, to enable visitors to fully enjoy the mountain experience. They offer a high recreational value to visitors and a healthy environment for residents. All towns can be reached easily by public transport, and are designed to make the experience easy as well as enjoyable.
The towns are:
Dates and details
Nine towns in Switzerland can't be accessed by car.
- can only be reached by cable car
- transport in the cable ccar is for free for handicapped, strollers and bikes
- you have to leave your car at the bottom station of the cable car in Linthal. There are various possibilities to park your car: Braunwald Parking
- in Braunwald you can hire a taxi or use a horse-drawn carriage to get around
- can only be reached by cable car from the bottom station in Betten (for your GPS use Grengiols Guldersand as destination)
- There are various possibilities to park your car at the bottom station: Bettmeralp Parking
- in Bettmeralp you can get around by using the Aletsch Express - an electric shuttle service
- can only be reached by cable car Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp following the narrow-gauge railway Grütschalp - Mürren
- you can park your car park your car at the bottom station: Mürren Parking
- can only be reached by cable car from bottom station Mörel
- Riederalp Parking
- you can reach Rigi Kulm by cogwheel train from Vitznau and Goldau
- Rigi Kaltbad can be reached by cable car
- you are strongly advised to use the park an ride parking at the A4 as there is very little parking at Goldau. Or park your car in Vitznau (2 car parks) or Weggis: Goldau Parking
- no cars are allowed in Saas-Fee. Saas-Fee Parking
- in Saas-Fee you get around by an electrically powered buses that are free of charge
- there are also electrically powered taxis available
- Stoos can only be reached by cable car
- if you want to go to Wengen by car, you have to choose Lauterbrunnen as your final destination. There you will have to park your car. More information about where to park your car and how to get to the railway can be found Wengen Parking
- the Glacier Express gets you directly to Zermatt. Your car has to be left in Täsch. Zermatt Parking
- In Zermatt you can get around by foot, bike, e-taxi, e-bus or by horse-drawn carriage
Foreign vehicles affected?
Hours of operation
There is no national scheme in Switzerland concerning carfree towns.
Local name for the scheme
autofreie Schweizer Tourismusorte
Assosiation of carfree towns in Switzerland GaST