There is currently one Low Emission Zone in Portugal
Dates and details
First phase July 2011 to January 2012 - Zone 1 vehicles manufactured before 1992 (usually Euro 1)
Second phase January 2012 – January 2015
- Zone 1 vehicles manufactured before 1996 (usually Euro 2)
- Zone 2 vehicles manufactured before 1992 (usually Euro 1)
A third phase has been in place since 15 January 2015.
- Zone 1: Vehicles manufactured after 2000 (usually Euro 3)
- Zone 2: Vehicles manufactured after 1996 (usually Euro 2)
All vehicles, light and heavy, petrol and diesel.
Lisbon public transport buses and tram
Lisbon public transport metro
Key: green area = LEZ Zone 1, yellow area = LEZ Zone 2, dotted red = exempted roads
Need to Register?
The filter must be one of those approved by the IMT - Institute for Mobility and Transport, with documentation stating the emissions reduction.
Which particulate filter is valid where in Europe
Lisbon particulate filter exemption
Hours of operation
Phase 1: Monday – Saturday, 08:00-20:00
Phase 2: Monday - Saturday 07:00 to 21:00
• Emergency vehicles and special
• Historic Vehicles
• Residents: Zone 2 - Lisbon residents, Zone 1 - resident within the Zone 1
Local name for the scheme
ZER - Zona de Emissões Reduzidas
Lisbon city website
More information about the Lisbon LEZ