Antwerp has implemented a Low Emission Zone in 1st February 2017.
Dates and details
All vehicles with four wheels or more.
These cars can only enter the LEZ after paying:
- diesel vehicles Euro 3 without DPF
- vehicles older than 40 years
- specialized vehicles Euro 2 for maintenance or utility work
Vehicles that are exempted (see Exemptions) and have standard Euro 2 pay the regular tariff.
Payments can be made for one day (valid until 6 A.M. the following morning), one week, one month, three months, six months or a year.
Type of restriction
Antwerp public transport
The LEZ will be in the area between the canal and the Scheldt on the right bank and in the area between the Scheldt, E17, P & R Left and St. Annabos on the left.
key: blue shaded area is the LEZ
Need to Register?
Your vehicle must be on the Belgian national vehicle register.
Foreign vehicles affected?
Yes, are affected.
Euro 3 diesel vehicles with a particulate filter can enter until 2019 (after registering).
More information on particle filters.
Some Flemish vehicles can get financial support for fitting diesel particulate filters.
Hours of operation
In 2017 the penalty will be in 125€.
As of 1 February 2018 the penalty will be higher for repeated infringements:
There is a flemish scheme that cities can use to implement a LEZ.
The following vehicles can always enter the LEZ without registration if they have a Belgian licence plate:
- petrol, LPG or natural gas vehicle with minimum standard Euro 1
- diesel vehicles with minimum standard Euro 4
- diesel cars with Euro norm 3, with a filter for which a Flemish premium was applied for
- agricultural vehicle (emission standard IIIa, IIIb and IV)
- electric vehicles
- hydrogen-powered vehicles
- plug-in hybrid vehicles
- vans for the transport of persons with disabilities (list based on Decree 12/21/2012)
- emergency services
- army vehicles
- oversized transports that are authorised by the authority with a special permit
In addition, vehicles that do not meet the emissions requirements may enter the LEZ up to 8 times a year with a LEZ day pass.
Local name for the scheme
More information on low emission zones
Film LEZ Antwerp
Decree of the Flemish Government on low-emission zones
Antwerpen city website in English
Antwerpen city website in Flemish
Antwerpen city website in French
Antwerpen city website in German